Monday, January 22, 2007

Winters at Bavington



The first winter adventure at Bavington of 2007 had an overriding essence of revision. It started with new friends and coworkers congregating at a familiar location with different attire and diverse equipment. A certainly altered atmosphere from my usual Sundays of the past three winters. Almost everything has leaped head first into a spiral of recently well-received chaos. My thanks to many for the support in difficult times, and even more to the "little-man" for the constant admonition of what our aim will always be. Happiness. My what a holy reality to find myself in.
This morning the greeting I welcome is from an accepted outsider looking for advice and guidance in matters Travis and I specialize in, going fast between April and October. After delaying as long as possible at Eat'n Park, we pile the gear into the Element, leave for Bavington, and establish an agenda for the day. Today is penciled in as a "test-day" with her new Sigma Sports PC 15 Heart rate Monitor. There are a ton of useful features in this monitor for riders and coaches at any ability level. It is also simple to navigate through to access all of the important data, before, during, and after workouts. The "client" today is an I.T. major in an internship with a big Internet company, so learning how to operate this relatively mundane devise came quite easy. Understanding the data flashing, and beeping, on the screen, well, that is my job. Just a few key features to note and why this will be the top-shelf HRM at our store: Total time, Kcal, Total Kcal, % of Max, and a visual and audio zone alarm. The total kcal and total time feature can be reset at the user's discretion. Weekly. Monthly. Daily. Whatever. What a darn handy training tool for all caliber riders and racers.
The conditions today couldn't have been any more sublime. It is almost possible to say that Bavington's winter riding could overshadow it's summer riding. It is almost completely void of thorns, cobwebs, and pesky stinging insects. The ground is also frozen and fast, almost semi-slick terrain.
During our three hour heart-rate monitor testing endeavour about a quarter inch of fluffy snow accumulated, adding even more to the enjoyment. Perfect winter mountain biking only a half hour west of Robinson Town Centre. Every Sunday, all winter long, the Trek of Pittsburgh staff hosts intermediate to advanced rides at Bavington which meet at the Robinson Trek location at 8:45am. Call Saturday during regular business hours for details and equipment recommendations. Also available to a small fee. Demo Bikes!! Call for details (412)788-TREK

2 comments:

Jason said...

Travis or TJ,

Question on the Bontrager wheels. I LOVE those X lites, but this year they're a bit out of the price range.

Any thoughts on the Race Lites? Currently running Salsa Delgado/XTs on the Dos Niner, but when I get my Mamasita in the spring I'd like to go a little lighter. Are the Race Lites worth it or should I just suck it up and go custom or X Lites?

I appreciate your input. I'll check back or feel free to shoot me an e mail at jmahokey (at) comcast.net.

Thanks.

jason

Jason said...

Travis or TJ,

Question on the Bontrager wheels. I LOVE those X lites, but this year they're a bit out of the price range.

Any thoughts on the Race Lites? Currently running Salsa Delgado/XTs on the Dos Niner, but when I get my Mamasita in the spring I'd like to go a little lighter. Are the Race Lites worth it or should I just suck it up and go custom or X Lites?

I appreciate your input. I'll check back or feel free to shoot me an e mail at jmahokey (at) comcast.net.

Thanks.

jason