Thursday, January 18, 2007

Getting Schooled

What a great time everyone had on Wednesday. The Trek Rep aka Bob Myers was in the Pittsburgh area making some rounds so he paid a visit to a couple of the Trek of Pittsburgh stores (soon to be opening the Shadyside location) during the day and ended up at the Cranberry location late in the afternoon/early evening. So I headed over to the shop in order to get in on the informal classes he was giving the girls ( Tanya aka Bonnie & Janet). It really wasn't any type of class but more like a question & answer period. It was very cool to listen in and I even got the chance to ask a few questions. Bob gave a great overview on some of the more elite products that the Trek Family is responsible for and he did a wonderful job laying out the past history of the company and its affiliates. He explained just how Trek produces some of its carbon fiber bikes and how they use a Trek specific aluminum for their frames. He also went into detail explaining the Trek relationship with Bontrager and just how much of Keith Bontragers personal input is directed into the wheelworks portion of Bontrager.






Tension enters the Conversation!
"Listen hear Don, like I said I was just trying to help, if you don't want help then tell me and I'll leave!"


After hanging out for awhile we got another surprise when Don aka the owner aka DonO stopped in to do some work which, by the looks of us standing around, we where not doing! Following a few sharp words between Don, Bob and the girls about work ethics, pictured above, which Don clearly won by explaining that he writes the checks for these employees, we all quietly separated, but not before Bob got one more word in just to show his authority.


Really it wasn't quit that harsh in fact it wasn't anything like that at all but it is cool how you can create a scene from a simple photo. Don and Bob actually get along well as they should. Both guys are great business men and have respect for each other. We caught up with Don for a few minutes and invited him to dinner but since he had painting to do he declined so Bob, Michelle and I went with him. Since we where in the shopping plaza it was easier to pick a place right there, so Smokey Bones won the draw!
Wow this was my first time inside Smokey Bones and the smell of meat hit me like a runaway pickup truck driven by a crack dealer on "Cops". We sat down and immediately started talking about bikes, people and places we've ridden. Bob started dropping names like hand grenades, boy does this dude know people. Keith Bontager, Lance Armstrong, Gunner Shogren, Greg LeMond and many many more that I slightly recognized. We finally finished eating so we headed back to my house where the conversation continued until after 11pm.


Bob doing some business from my "home office"

The following morning Bob and I hit Eat'n Park for a quick breakfast before he needed to get rolling toward Meadville. I have to give a big shout out to Bob for spending some time with Michelle and I. He really is a great dude and I consider him a good friend. Keep a look out for his personal blog which we will be getting set up soon in fact I'll put a post up once we get it running smoothly.

Happy Trails Bob and thanks for all your commitment and support to the local Trek shops!



Oh yea this dude asked me to post his photo for the women..........

Hello Ladies!

stork




1 comment:

Soupie said...

Nick, worshipping the Goat Lord Baphomet with simple hand gestures, is sure to pick up the many of women that surf this blog.