Tuesday, January 16, 2007

DCNR, Masons and Cycling?

Since the weather in our area has been so wet lately I decided to attend my Masonic Lodge meeting which I haven't been to for awhile due to my training schedule. Another individual (also a Masonic Brother) I work with told me that the guest speaker was the Head Ranger, Rick Carson, (haha Ranger Rick yea,yea) from Moraine State Park which, for those of you from outside this area, is a large state park that contains one of the most notorious mountain bike trials in western pa.Not the usually attire I'm seen in but I have to uphold the image of the Masonic Lodge

I was looking forward to meeting Rick and how cool was it that I would get the chance to talk with someone about my biking while attending a Lodge meeting which has nothing to do with biking! Now let me tell you that the other Brothers have supported me more than once with my biking adventures. Several times donating to my charity rides for MS and always offering shelter or water to me when traveling past their homes. I'm very proud to be a member of such a grand fraternity, but under normal circumstances meetings have little to do with cycling so this evening was a treat for me.


After our normal meeting Rick was introduced to the members and he talked with us one on one for a few moments before his program. At this time I introduced myself and the two of us talked about a Mr. Greenlee (who built the original trail) and also about the new group that has been adding mileage to the existing 6.5 mile rock trail! He was expressing his amazement at how people can even ride parts of the trail. He also talked about the few times he had to help injured people out of the trail.Next he started into his program and again I was very impressed with the DCNR Employees knowledge of not only their park and things within it, but also his knowledge of the surrounding parks. Since my cousin is a Park Manager @ Sizerville and I've gotten the chance to meet people from the Regional Office there, I was able to ask some questions that Rick doesn't normally hear. Never once did he stumble but always had the answers to our questions.


I know I've said this before but we are really lucky to have the use of so many state parks and forests all for FREE! Rick was under the impression that PA was one of only 4 to 5 states left with free day use of the Parks. Come on people get out there and use them! Many have biking trails and many more are looking at opening trails up to bikes. Our Park employees are friendly knowledgeable people who love the outdoors. They love to talk about the animals, the environment, hiking, biking, boating and recreational use of their parks and they make great friends too!


Anyway it was a nice evening visiting with my Masonic Brothers and getting the chance to learn more about my local state park Moraine. Thanks to all involved and if you are in the area of Moraine or McConnell's Mill take the time to make a memory there. In fact look Rick up at the Park Office or contact the Park @ 724-368-8811 links http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/


As for my Masonic Lodge (Victory Lodge 694) well your on your own there!


Brother Stork

No comments: