Thursday, January 25, 2007

Whats This Life For?

Hurray for a child
That makes it through
If there's any way
Because the answer lies in you
They're laid to rest
Before they know just what to do
Their souls are lost
Because they could never find
What's this life for

I answered the phone on my drive home only to hear a voice from someone that I hadn't talked to in some time. It was a nice surprise to say the least. She proceeded to tell me how her life had changed so much lately and that she wasn't enjoying it very much. At the age of 23 she didn't feel like she fit in well with the newcomers at her new college yet she didn't have any real close friends there her age. This particular girl has had some difficulty with her previous college and was given no other choice than to transfer, which I could tell by the tone of her voice was a very hard move to make. She was feeling betrayed by the very college that she bleed white and green for and now was trying to figure out what to do with this new situation. Since she ran track for the other school and had competed against the very school she was now attending she struggled with her loyalty. Asking me how she could possibly show up and run against her old teammates? Now I'm not a very educated man to say the least but I have lived many "life lessons" so how do you go about convincing someone that the situation they face in life is good? I thought for a moment until realizing the words from the Creed song above. Yea I just maybe able to help her through this because the answer lies within me!


I explained how she must do what is needed to succeed with getting her diploma and if that meant changing colors and competing against her old school then so be it. She must do whats best for life and hopefully the girls from her previous team understand this. This new school has offered her the opportunity to pursue her love and passion for sports by excepting her into their program, true they didn't take all the credits but I explained that the previous school had taken her possibilities of obtaining this through them away. She was expressing resentment towards the wrong school. We talked for sometime until I needed to cut it off, but I found myself riding in the night snow thinking about Jill and her situation. I hope she thinks long and hard about the roads in front of her and someday can tell me that I helped by being there when she needed.


Jill has been an excellent runner since High school but sometimes lacks the confidence in herself that's needed to reach the next step and let me be the first to say that its only her that thinks this. Many others have shown their confidence in Jill by scholarships and such but she has yet to realize this.
Whats the purpose of this post? Whats this life for? Well its for having fun which is riding bikes for me and for making sure you help someone along the way.

Jill you're a great "kid" so put your head up buckle down and kick some butt.

Good luck at school this year!

xoxo
Cousin stork

No comments: