Sunday, April 01, 2007

The Pace Quickens

Well This morning rolled around and I searched all the weather sites again. But after a few cups of Joe I decided that the heavy rains and wind due in Ohio where just enough to sway me toward taking the easy way out & go for the 1 1/2 hour drive south to the Mingo Road race. I haven't raced on the road for over 3 years and, in a nutshell, you could count the total number of Road races I've entered on 1 hand (not counting a half dozen crit races) So this was going to be somewhat of a learning experience for me.
The start of the Cat 4/5 Group

Trek of Pittsburgh Owner/Operator, Don Mosites, Promotes these Mingo Races and I got a call from him around 8 o'clock he asks "well where are you headed, Ohio?" I told him no I think you'll be seeing me shortly. He replies with a quick "cool!" I told him to get me pre-registered because I would be a last minute arrival.

Once in the lot Michelle and I walked down to sign up where I was greeted by Don & Gary Bywaters. Don notices my registration is for the Cat 4/5 which is the class I'm listed for on my license and instantly throws a red flag. "Come on Stork you can't race the 4/5" says Don. Hey I can't bump myself up so he & Gary discuss this and then I was instructed to sign up on the Cat 1,2,3 sheet right behind this guy: Gunnar Shogren


So off with the start and I was racing my first Cat 3 Race! How exciting... not really I mainly wanted to use this as a training tool and wanted something to gauge my training from the winter with. I'm truly a mountain biker so it was hard to hold back from going all out and blowing up. To be perfectly honest I can't tell you the exact number of laps I did but they where all fun. These guys can ride in packs and no-one is afraid to pull so it was a steady pace the entire time. I supported the new 29er Fisher Team by wearing the new jerseys (bright Orange/red) and by riding my Lemond Buenos Aires. I managed to ride with a small group that lead the first couple of laps until a few guys broke away. I looked around to see where a few friends where and after seeing them still in this group I thought it best to sit tight with them and ignore the break away, especially since I didn't know the guys pulling away. Nearing the second to the last lap Gerry P. from Freddie Fu told me that this group was going to "stick" so stay with it. (Thanks for the advice Gerry). I did as he said and rolling into the start of our last lap I was sitting comfortably in with the largest lead group. Only about 5 others where out in front of us. Not bad for my first Cat 3 race I thought! As we started the last rolling climb Gerry & I where out front in our group and I felt my rear tire getting soft. I looked over to Gerry and said "I'm out with a flat". I immediately fell thru and out the back. Irritated to say the least, with less than 2.5 miles left! Damn I thought, I've seen Gunnar ride a flat out so why shouldn't I try it! I started pushing the cranks and actually caught back up with the group I was in but for safety reason I backed off before they made the turn toward the descent to the finish. I flat road tire on wet roads is an invite for a disaster. I hung on as the rear end got "squirrely" and road it out to the finish. Glad that was over!

Whew what an experience. A big thanks to Don, Gary Bywaters, Trek of Pittsburgh, & my support from Fisher.Above: Notice the BRIGHT orange/red on the left..... 100% stork!


stork

1 comment:

Soupie said...

4/5?!
Sandbaggin!