Sunday, April 15, 2007

In Search of Puddleglum

Friday nights voice message was from Chris, one of the guys I rode with on Good Friday. "Travis, Chris here, Mike & I are riding Kennerdall tomorrow morning, if you're interested give me a call". I sat on the couch thinking how can I tell Michelle that I'm going to bail on our Saturday plans to go ride. Luckily Michelle isn't one of those girls who get over dramatic at something like this & she understands my commitment to riding & racing. My commitment to things probably is one of the things she likes about me best. Anyway with the upcoming race season and my new sponsorship with the Gary Fisher 29er Team she understands that I need ride time. So I broke it to her with the added information that we would be riding early so I wouldn't be home late. She said sure thing, see ya when you get home, but I think she knew that anytime I go riding its never in the allotted time. Saturday morning found me listening to the Bee Gees waiting for Chris & Mike to arrive. We got ready and off to the trials. Since these two had only ridden here one other time I became the official tour guide, which I never mind doing. I really enjoy riding with these guys and we kept a steady pace stopping on occasion to point out different routes & trails while getting a breather. I rode my 2006 Fisher Rig Single speed which hadn't been off the hook since the last race of 2006. It felt good to be carving the singletrack straddling this trusty steed. This particular bike and I shared several major victories last season and I have a certain respect for this machine, in fact so much that I believe this to be the first time I've ridden it outside of racing since it's been built. Ok a few trail rides around my house to test & tune but never with a group elsewhere.
Mike & Chris gliding down the "Goat Path" @ Kennerdall on their way to Dennison Run. We rode almost 16 miles for the day through all the marshy trails at Kennerdall while searching for Puddleglum the Marsh Wiggle. I've been told he can be found fishing along Dennison Run but instead we found this creature

Yes its a porcupine. Very cool to see something like this. I must add that its not out of the ordinary in this area to spot one. Of all the times I've ridden Kennerdall on more than a few occasions I've gotten the chance to observe these magnificent animals. Again I must add that you ain't gonna see stuff like this sittin on your couch! Get out and see the our wonderful State! But please only observe the wildlife don't bother, tease or disturb them!


We watched the little critter walk around and climb the tree before moving on.

All in all it was a great morning ride with some sun before the rain moved in later in the evening. Good company, wildlife & sweet trails. A successful day, Thanks to God and Country

stork

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Chronicles of Narnia? Lola H.