Monday, April 30, 2007

Greenbrier

Outside the window of our table @ Dennys in Hagerstown we watched this happy little duck waddle around the parking lot before nestling down in the dew covered grass just beside the entrance, as if to lay claim to its territory. It made me think about my race that would start @ 3:30 that day, would I be waddling around the course looking all happy? laying claim to the territory? Probably not but never the less we finished breakfast and headed in the direction of Greenbrier State Park.
Today's race held the fate of my riders dreams. It would be a qualifier for an invite to something in the way of a National race. Also the UCI (pros that ride for a living) riders gather points from races like these for Olympic qualifiers. So the field of riders would be many and would be strong. Above is a picture of me & Jerry Bliton who was back on the bike for the first time in weeks (since some back surgery) and tooling around the course showing his support to all. Thanks Jerry as always it was great seeing you and thanks for all the encouragement! Chris & Jeremiah after a good but unsatisfying finish. Both guys are great athletes and very normal people. I spoke with both of them in length while hanging out at the Trek Tent with Stephen Hoover (Trek Regional East Team) who included me as a member for the weekend.
Michelle, Gunnar, Chris Eatough & his wife with their new baby, Congrats to them!

Heres two more well known faces... Gunnar & Betsy (bunny) Shogren.

Michelle entering her second lap for a victory in the 30/39 Female Sport group! Great job Champ!



Ok So Michelle kicked some butt @ 10:30 which leaves me to race @ 3:30. By this time of the day I'm thinking of driving home and calling it a weekend, but that isn't how you do things. No even when you're feeling like doing something else duty calls and you're lined up at the Start. I was riding the new Ferrous for its first race and was a bit concerned about how it would handle and perform with the fast, rocky course. Nothing to worry about the starting whistle blew and off the 28 singlespeeders go! Several of the guys in my group are really strong riders and one of them I have raced several times. Most of those times I came out the victor but today's stars where not aliened in my favor. Shortly into the course two riders went around me and hung out in front But within my view for the first 2 laps before pulling away on the 3rd. I did somehow manage to hang on to my 3rd place position for the Bronze. It turned out to be a very tough day for me but there's a long season ahead with many more fast competitors to square off with.



We hung around for the awards with Gunnar, Betsy, Mike & Erin Yozell, Amy Breyla & CB before packin it in and turning toward the west..


stork

No comments: