Sunday, October 08, 2006

Trek University


What an excellent day it turned out to be here in western PA. This morning Michelle and I traveled a little south to Bavington to attend a Trek U Class. Bob Myers and the fine people from Trek Of Pittsburgh where kind enough to include me as a guest. Ok you're asking what is Trek U? Well its a highly organized and secret meeting for Trek store employees where they are informed to all the changes and upgrades made to the product lines for the new year. After getting schooled on the changes and modifications you are tested on the info and if you pass they let you test ride some of the awesome rides from their van! Yea, being told that caused me to buckle down, listen and ace the test. Moving on now I picked out a fresh Gary Fisher Race Day 29" full susp. for my first ride. After getting names from the others we took off thru a section of dry twisty single track. I really started to enjoy the plushness of the full suspension and eventually let it rip down a rutted out decent to the roadway! In fact I pushed back up just to do that again. Back to the secret meeting place and on to another bike which was the Top Fuel (Trek). Now this I really liked. It felt fast yet not overly plush..... more like something I would want to race but oops only 26" wheels! Damn but for those out there wanting to stay with that wheel size ,well this bike is born and breed to race. I did a fairly long ride on this with several of the Trek of Pgh employees. We had a blast and returned to try a few other bikes. I gave a quick spin on a Fisher HiFi which is a new radical ride from the Fisher Lab. This bike has an offset fork which makes it handle extremely well at slower speeds. Now before you all start scratching your head wanting me to explain this, well I'll be honest... i wasn't paying attention when the teacher explained this in detail but hey I race'em & ride'em they sell'em so if you really want the full scoop stop by a Fisher/Trek store and get them to show you this. It seems like an excellent full range bike. On my final lap I rode my own bike just to feel the difference but the General manager of ToP (trek of pittsburgh) Chris rode the HiFi, and I constantly heard a laugh and a hoha coming from him as he railed thru the turns.

So I would love to include some pictures but when they saw my camera I was asked to turn over the disc containing all photos taken. They could be to careful.

Seriously I was there to ride and BS and somehow in all the excitement I forgot to get the camera out.

Thanks to Bob Myers, Trek Bob, Don, Chris, Adam, Kasey, Jordan, Paul and the others from Trek Of Pitts for allowing me to infiltrate their study session.

No comments: