Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Mountain Bikings Future?

Here it is...... the future of mountain biking! Remember these faces and their names because one of them just may be a future Norba Champion. On the other hand none of them may become championship winners, but they all are part of the future of mountain biking in more ways than you think. Beside me (far left) is, Jordan(2nd from the left), Christopher ( 3rd), and DJ (far right). They are students in high school in Ohio. All ride and race for Chris Skinner (Multi Year OMBC Champion). I can't tell you much about these guys outside of the short meeting at races but I can say they are polite competitive well respected young adults. I have donated bike parts, tires, even a frame and a couple of forks to Chris which he uses to build up bikes for these guys to race. At every OMBC race I attend these guys are there competing against each other then loading into the same cars and heading home together. Never have I seen arrogant or unsportsmanship manners from any of them. In fact this past weekend I didn't race but rode around the course and hung with a few of these guys in the trail and each and everyone of them came to me after the race, said thanks for "pushing" them and shook my hand. Thats the future of mountain biking and I like what it looks like so far!





Most of these manners are probably taught to them from Chris Skinner. Hes an individual I meet a few years back at a race series at Beans Bike Park in Ohio (no longer exists). I was new to the sport yet Chris approached me talked to me as an equal and wished me luck (he was the current Ohio State Champ), I was nothing special. Our friendship grew from there and i have nothing short of the upmost respect for him and everything he does.

Teamed with Bob Myers and Trek, Chris helps manages a small mountain bike team, the Trek-Ohio Valley Team, but in addition to that he works with these young adults at school introducing them to mountain biking and archery. How cool is that? I wish there had been programs like that when I attended school. Chris not only does this at school but he has built, along with these students, a trail system on his private property where they train weekly during the season and one of the 12 OMBC races takes place.

So when you start wondering about the future of our sport remember Chris. Think of the time and effort he puts in to helping these students but don't count on him only. Do the same, take some time on the trail or anywhere to talk with newcomers. Offer to show them a trail, meet up answer their questions. Its in everyones intrest to promote the sport otherwise all trails could close and we could all be looking for a new sport. Think about it?

No comments: