Friday, December 08, 2006

Night Ride, maybe?

Here it is thursday evening December 7th and a nice cold front has been moving into the western pa area. The temps have been going down all day and a nice snow fall has started. Winds started blowing and at times its impossible to see 10' in front of you. Never the less I'm in the Escape heading to North Park Ice Rink to meet Chris and Mike who work for a company that I contract with. Mike Tells me that the temp is around 20/21 degrees as we suit up in the lot. The three of us are laughing about how cold it was the last time I had ridden with them. As Mike fiddled with his shoes and gear I unloaded the Single speed Rig from the holding chambers of the Escape. Its always nice to pull out a warm clean bike at the start. Since I had been ready before the others I tooled around the lot warming up suddenly there was nothing. Nothing? yes nothing... no forward motion at all. A complete free spinning of the cranks without any energy being supplied to the rear tire. What the what, is going on? And then like a Vonage phone box it hit me! Bam Kings Hubs+ cold weather= no worky! Stupid stupid me knew this but in my haste to leave the house earlier I never thought to change out the rear wheel. In past winters I always put a different rear wheel on for this reason alone. Several tries to warm it up with the heater in the Escape worked but only got me to the edge of the woods before freespinning again. Finally I told the others that I was officially disqualified from the ride. With my head hung low in embarressment i pushed my bike back to the car. Feeling like an idiot I didn't even undress from my bike gear. A short drive back home, i unloaded and proceeded to the basement workshop where I began filtering thru my stock of parts for the other rim, tire, skewer, and brake rotor. I took the time to set everything up but never put it on the bike but layed it there beside the Rig and just to let it know it didn't get the best of me I saddled up the Portland, turned on all the blicky lights and out the basement door I went! By now it was around 17 degrees and a road ride on the commuter bike was going to be cold. So I kept it short for a nice frigid 8 miles.
stork

No comments: